This month we will be joined by Maggie Bishop to learn about the Alexander Technique.
The Alexander Technique teaches you the skills to become more aware of your body and have better posture.
It is named after Frederick Matthias Alexander who began developing these techniques in the 1890s, originally to help him on stage delivering speeches from Shakespeare!
The NHS says that there’s evidence suggesting the Alexander technique can help people with…
- Long-term back pain – lessons in the technique may lead to reduced back pain-associated disability and reduce how often you feel pain for up to a year or more
- Long-term neck pain – lessons in the technique may lead to reduced neck pain and associated disability for up to a year or more
- Parkinson’s disease – lessons in the technique may help you carry out everyday tasks more easily and improve how you feel about your condition
You can click here to read more on the NHS website.
We’ll be in good hands with Maggie: as well as being a qualified Alexander Technique teacher, she has a Master of Science degree, too!
The session will be interactive with members being invited to try the techniques for themselves, ask questions, or simply just watch and learn.
You can read more about Maggie on her website here.
She will certainly have us standing to attention!
→ What To Bring To The Meeting
- Your mask and hand sanitiser (we will have spares);
- Warm clothes (the big doors will be kept open for fresh air);
- Your own mug (drinks are currently free);
- Snacks if you’d like any.
→ Next Three Meetings
- December: Christmas Chips
- January: Cake Decorating
- February: Creative drawing
→ Subgroup Calendar
- Wednesday 10, 19:30: The Alexander Technique
- Wednesday 17, 19:00: Supper Club at Yak and Yeti
- Saturday 20, 14:00: Crafternoon
- Wednesday 24, 14:00: Cafe Society at The Pudding Pantry
- Wednesday 24, 18:30: Committee Meeting
- Thursday 25, 18:45: Book Club, Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay
- Sunday 28, 10:00: Walk ‘n’ Talk
The Hive WI 2022
Knickers, Morris dancing, and cream tea
|11 May||Resolutions and activities|
|8 June||Lady Bay Revellers Morris dancers|
|13 July||Tea tasting and cream tea|
|10 August||Unofficial meeting (summer picnic)|
|14 September||Ballet fit|
|12 October||“Mildred the Lady Historian”|
|9 November||Women’s Health with Dr. Fogarty|
|14 December||Wreath making|
|11 January||Birthday party|
|8 February||Cheese and cider tasting (non-alcoholic options available)|
|8 March||Annual meeting and social|
|12 April||“Stage Magic Through the Ages”|
Thank you so much to everyone who sent in ideas, and to those who volunteered to whittle them down and book the speakers.
Extra, extra special thanks to Michelle who volunteered to organise everything and everyone. We couldn’t have done it without you.
Walk ‘n’ Talk
£500 raised for charity!
On Friday, our walkers reached their goal of raising £500 for charity! Well done to all of them, and especially their feet! (Pictured above).
Cheryl, our Hive WI President passes on this message:
We are incredibly proud of our walkers for reaching their fund-raising goal. This is a fantastic achievement and testament to their dedication. Let’s see now how much more we can raise for this fantastic cause before they reach John O’Groats!
There is still time to donate if you would like to. You can find the Just Giving page here.
Our Craftivism is in The National Justice Museum!
This time last year, Broxtowe Women’s Project (BWP) contacted CAKE Fighters to ask if we could help promote their work on social media. We did this by making over 200 origami butterflies (!), and asking other groups around Nottingham to make and photograph a few of their own as well.
Our butterflies (the ones photographed above on my living room wall) are currently displayed in the National Justice Museum. What a proud moment!
The display will be open to the public until January.
Find Us Online
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/thehivewi
- Facebook group (members only): facebook.com/groups/thehivewi
- Twitter: twitter.com/thehivewi
- Website: thehivewi.com
- You can also search for us on Google Calendar using our email address.