All our subgroups are running on Zoom during Covid-19.
Below is our Google Calendar (it may not work if viewed on your phone).
Who can come?
Hive WI members can bring any friend with them to the subgroups an unlimited amount of times, otherwise, as with our main meetings, non-members are asked to consider joining The Hive WI officially if they become a regular at our groups.
These groups are fantastic ways to get to know and make friends with other members, as well as wiling away a few hours doing something you love with some lovely people.
Below is a list of all our subgroups and main meeting (which is included so you can more easily see where it fits in with the rest of our activities).
- CAKE Chat: Every first Thursday, 19:00
- Publess Quiz: Every third Thursday, 20:15
- Main Meeting: Every second Wednesday, 19:30-21:30
- Crafternoon: Every third Saturday, 14:00-16:00
- Committee Meeting: Every fourth Wednesday, 18:30
- Thursday Book Club: Every last Thursday, 18:45
- Walk ‘n’ Talk: Every last weekend of the month, 10:00
Keep reading to learn more about our subgroups below.
Various times and dates
CAKE stands for Community Action, Knitting, Etc!
This subgroup looks at the 100 years of campaigning and activism that the WI is involved in.
Before the pandemic we would have met over cake to discuss creative ways to campaign in our community. Since the pandemic, CAKE Fighters moved to Zoom and includes speakers and WI members from across the country.
- January – Monday 25th, 19:30: Craftivism with Sarah Corbett
- March: Stop Modern Slavery
- April: Women and Autism with Odd Girl Out author Laura James
- June: Link Together to Alleviate Loneliness
- August: Food Matters
- October: Make Time for Mental Health
- November: No More Violence Against Women
First Thursday of the month, 19:00
This group helps CAKE Fighters put it all together and turn ideas into actions.
- January 7
- February 4
- March 4
- April 1
- May 6
- June 3
- July 1
- August 5
- September 2
- October 7
- November 4
- December 2
Third Thursday of each month, 20:15.
We moved our quiz to Zoom after the pandemic closed the pubs.
Inviting friends is encouraged!
- January 21
- February 18
- March 18
- April 15
- May 20
- June 17
- July 15
- August 19
- September 16
- October 21
- November 18
- December 16
Third Saturday of the month, 14:00
Bring your own project and we will bring the company!
- January 16
- February 20
- March 20
- April 17
- May 16
- June 19
- July 17
- August 21
- September 18
- October 21
- November 20
- December 18
Thursday Book Club
Last Thursday of the month, 18:45
- January 28: The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
- February 25: The Guest List by Lucy Foley
- March 25: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- April 29: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- May 27: The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
- June 24: Room by Emma Donoghue
- July 29: Parasite by Mira Grant
- August 26: Normal People by Sally Rooney
- September 30: Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- October 29: Dune by Frank Herbert
- November 25: Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay
- December TBC: The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
Walk ‘n’ Talk
Currently on hold
When guidelines allow, our Walk ‘n’ Talk subgroup meets on the last weekend every month at 10:00. During the summer we also meet once a month for a short evening walk at 19:00.
Our walks last for around 4-6 miles each and are never more than an hour’s drive away from Beeston.
If you would like to lead a walk, please get in touch!
Details are confirmed a week prior to each event through our Facebook group and emails. If you would like to be added to the email list please speak to Hayley at any of our meetings or send us an email.